Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pear Cocktail

Some coworkers of mine brought me back some Pear Cognac from Sweden over 2 years ago. It has sat in my liquor cabinet for a while because while different and interesting I think it's a little sharp and I have not found a way to drink it that I liked.

I've been on vacation for the last week and a few days ago I decided I wanted to try my hand at building a legitimate cocktail. As much work as I do in the kitchen and as creative as I can be in the kitchen, I've never invented a cocktail, not one with any significant staying power anyway.

I love the taste of pear and decided I really wanted to do something with that lonely bottle of Pear Cognac, Xante. However, I knew I'd have to round out that huge alcohol bite and promote the freshness and flavor so I started with all half ounces and built the following recipe that is yet unnamed:

1 Part Xante Pear Cognac
1 Part Whipped Cream Vodka
1/2 Part 10 Cane Rum
1 Part Gingerale

Shake with ice, serve in a chilled martini glass with a pear garnish and an optional light sprinkle of clove.

What happens here is the whipped cream vodka really takes the bite down. The 10 cane promotes the freshness and the gingerale seems to bind it all together. This isn't a sweet cocktail, and it's not bitter, it's a really interesting a complex flavor profile that if you can get your hands on some Xante, you should give it a shot. I think it is sold in the states.

By the way, I didn't shake this when I made this because I was afraid I'd bruise the cognac. Looks like cognac doesn't bruise, but I haven't tried shaking it yet. The colder the better here as I think it will promote the freshness.

Name suggestions? Nothing with "tini" at the end.

***Update 4/18/12

Naming this a "Swedish Blonde" - the guy that brought it back to me in the first place aptly named it after I described the drink to him

And I have an order for more Xante in at my local liquor store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment